Wednesday, January 21, 2009

America



America, what a country we live in. Despite all the problems and the struggles that people are going through and the imperfections in our government and economy. I am proud of this country. Yesterday was an amazing experience. We are so blessed to be able to move from one president to another without a bullet shot, riots in the street or ethnic genocide occurring. I was raised during the 60's. I remember the assassination of Dr. King, President Kennedy, and his brother Robert. I was part of student government with the first African American student body president at the University of Utah. He was amazing and did a great job. I was saddened by the narrow mindedness of people who told me I was going to hell because I was serving in the same student council as "him." I watched the tears on the faces of many people yesterday as Pres. Obama spoke. The dream is alive. You can be anything you want if you work hard enough! I love America!

1 comment:

Sherilyn said...

Great post Michele. I am with you it was awesome to watch and to see the peaceful tranfer of power in this great county. I heard on KSL how in awe President Uchdorf was as he was there and got to experience it first hand and how he had chills as he watched the peaceful exchange. We are so blessed to live in such a great country